St. Andrew, Althorne

      St.Andrew's, Althorne . . .


THE CHURCH

The present church dates from the 1400s and is built of flint and stone-rubble with the buttressed walls cornered in stone. The tower was added in 1460 and has an embattled parapet with flint inlay in a trelliswork of ashlar. An arch was made in the nave wall through which can be seen the west windows flanked by two plain crosses. There are two bells dated 1480 and 1638, not currently usable.

The chancel with bricked walls was added during the 16th century.

A fine octagonal font, dating from the fifteenth century, has seven sculptured panels and sits on a moulded base with flowers. The church was saved from disrepair in the 1880s when the brick chancel arch was built at the instruction of Rev. Henry Mawson Mulligan, although the stone responds may be 14th century.

Above the south door hangs a Georgian coat of arms of the House of Hanover; the old north door has been bricked up. A brass plaque on the north wall commemorates the sad death of three local boys, accidentally drowned in the River Crouch on Easter Monday, 1919.

                               FACILITIES                

  • Limited car parking available.
  • Two small steps for which ramps are available.
  • Induction hearing loop and amplification system.
  • There are no toilet facilities as yet.
  • Large print hymn books are available.

The church's address is Fambridge Road, Althorne, Chelmsford,Essex. CM3 6BZ

There is a church hall on the corner of Summerhill and Fambridge Road - for bookings contact 01621 742464

 

                          St.Andrews, Althorne

Interior looking west